After careful consideration, we are going to try something different on Easter Sunday……………
The women will run a 5k race as usual and this will be followed by a 5k race rather than a relay for the men too. Whilst we recognse that many people enjoy the tradition and camaraderie of the relay, we feel that making it a straight race will be more encouraging to those who are not part of a team and also to the slower runners who are left to finish long after most people have gone home.
There are a few other benefits:
– It will be possible to complete the team event with just three runners, as the women can do at the moment.
-Times will count for Power of 10/5k road PBs
– It might create a better head-to-head for the overall Festival win
– A less strung-out event should make it safer with other users on the Prom
– We can start slightly later and still finish slightly earlier
– Less helpers will be needed at sign-on so they can be moved onto the course to improve marshaling
We will pilot this for one year and then assess whether to make it a permanent change or revert back to the relay.
Race times will be:
10.30 – women
11.15 – men